Friday, July 22, 2011

Hydrated


In case you live in a cave, or in Seattle or San Diego where the weather is always lovely, let me remind you all that it's hot out there.  H-O-T.  I realize it's summer and despite my adamant protestation, it's supposed to be hot, but this is unreal hot.   The current temperatures are doing nothing to make me change my opinion of summer.  When you read things such as "horrible air quality" "stay in doors between 12pm and 8 pm" and "heat index values to reach 118" loving summer is not the first thing to come to mind.

But, weather is weather and I cannot control it.  Therefore, I'm simply doing my best to hide in my air conditioned house and stay hydrated.  Of course, hydrating with 32 ounces of artificial colored, artificial flavored soda sweetened with artificial chemicals is probably the furthest thing from what the experts would suggest.

To which I say, who cares. 

I'm hot and cranky and tired of sweating and I want a a bucket of diet soda.   Speaking of sweating, I sweated an epic amount yesterday at the gym.  My run was tragic and one that I'd like to forget for as long as I live, but I literally soaked my entire tank top, which was all kinds of awesome.  Disgusting, but awesome all the same.

I'm sorry I felt compelled to share that with you.

That's what happens when you hide upstairs in your bedroom every afternoon.  Adult contact is minimal, thus causing me to feel the need to over share here on the blog.

Moving along....when I was taking a picture of my super big gulp, I also took a picture of my milk carton.  And why?  You might ask.  Well, I took a picture of it because I love the old school nature of the carton.


Doesn't it remind you of the good ol days?



And by the good ol days, I mean the 1980s.  We're not talking the-milkman-delivering-the-milk-in-glass-bottle-days.


I'm not sure why this throwback type of container thrilled me so much, considering that all elementary schools have the miniature versions in their cafeterias.  I suppose it just reminded me of being a kid, when milk didn't come in plastic jugs, but in cardboard containers that were often hard to open....and, not to mention, terribly hard to drink straight from.  That little spout is impossible to drink neatly from.  Not that I drink straight from the carton any more.  That only happened in my youth when I was gross and entirely unaware of how germs are spread.



No, thank YOU, Trader Joes. 

Hey, do you know what goes great along side milk (old school cardboard OR plastic containers)?

Why, cookies of course.


Speaking of childhood, I adore the Mother's brand version of these iced animal cookies.  I don't buy them because I haven't any control when around them, but at Target the other day, I was completely incapable of resisting the temptation to add these to my basket.

For now, they're just sitting in my pantry.  Once I open them, I fear I won't be able to control myself, eating handful after handful, reminiscing  about the good old days.  Who knows, the nostalgia of the moment just might lead me to drink straight from the carton.

1 comment:

Cookie Mama said...

When I come to DC for the day, you MUST bring me a bag o' those cookies!
For the veterans, of course. I shall eat them in their honor.